We recently found this recipe for herbal cordials over on Inn Brooklyn and we just had to share it with you! Now that there are hints of spring in the air why not try making your own refreshing juices, rather then buying ones laden with food coloring, preservatives and nasty chemicals!
Herb Citrus Cordial (makes 4-5 pints)
- 6 cup sugar
- Zest of 6 citrus, in large pieces of peel
- 4 cups fresh citrus juice
- 2 cup water
- 8 cups loosely packed fresh basil or 2 cups lavender or 20 stalks of rosemary or some other herb you want to cordialize.
- In a large pot bring sugar, zest, juice, and water to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add the herbs and let the syrup infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- Meantime prepare your canning jars.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve, squeezing out as much syrup as possible from the herb leaves before discarding them.
- Boiling water process for 10 minutes.